(15) Extract from "History of Bandon," by Geo. Bennet, Cork, 1869 relating to the family.

   

In the great rebellion of 1641, Teige O'Driscoll of Collimere, and Dermogh O'Driscoll of Innisshirkin, at the head of two hundred men, of whom forty were armed with muskets, and had four rounds of ammunition a man, joined with the forces, under the command of Tom Coppinger, of Copplebeg;[1] and the entire body, consisting of upwards of three hundred men, inclusive of seventy musketeers, attacked the castle of Baltimore, three hours before day break, on the 15th of August, 1642.

The castle was full of people.  Governor Bennett willingly afforded the shelter of its walls to those hapless creatures whom the rebels had forced from their homesteads, and when Coppinger and the O'Driscolls marched against it, it contained no less than two hundred and fifteen souls.  The assault was unsuccessful.  Indeed so disheartened were the insurgents at their complete failure, that they drew off before sunrise; and thus the garrison and the helpless inmates escaped without the loss of a life, or even a drop of blood.

In the rebellion of 1641, the following estates were forfeited in the West Riding of Cork.  In the parish of Ballymodan, Lissefoote, owned by Daniel (? Dominick) Coppinger.  In the parish of Rathclaren, the land of Gortnatwrna and Garrangroorig, belonging to James Coppinger.

When the commissioners were rewarding those who had fought manfully in the great struggle from which the country had just emerged, they did not forget Bandon. In a letter from the Lord Deputy (Henry Cromwell) and Council - dated Feby. 15th, 1657 - to the Surveyor General of Lands, they direct him to prepare forthwith a particular of lands of the yearly value of two hundred pounds sterling; and that a patent may be granted for the same, provided they (i.e., the corporation) gave a general release of all what is due to them from his Highness.

In compliance with these instructions, the following lands were (inter alia) bestowed on the town :- Chirryheghey, containing 200 acres, formerly the property of James Coppinger and of Richard Hale Coppinger.  These two gentlemen were indicted for treason at the great session held at Youghal on the 2nd of August, 1642, before Lord Cork and his sons, and were subsequently outlawed in the King's Bench. - pp. 89, 179, 187.


[1] Thomas Copinger son of Sir Walter of Cloghan and Copinger's Court.


           

Contact us by e-mail   mailto:copinger@talktalk.net

This page was last updated on 25-Mar-2002

Copyright 2000 D. P. & E. Copinger